The Roberta Sykes Indigenous Education Foundation provides partial funding for Indigenous Australians to undertake short, executive education courses at leading overseas academic institutions. In many cases, the candidate's employer is requested to contribute up to 50% of the costs.
The value of the Bursary is up to $20,000.
To be eligible, applicants must:
When to apply:
Applications for the Roberta Sykes Bursaries are reviewed, and candidates interviewed, at each board meeting of the Roberta Sykes Indigenous Education Foundation.
Applications are open year round in 2022.
Applicants need to apply directly to the overseas academic institution first, and then to the Trust for a Bursary. Your Bursary application will only be reviewed by the Board if you are accepted into your chosen course, however you should submit your application to the Foundation while you await the outcome of your university application.
You must ensure that you submit you Bursary application with substantial time for it to be reviewed (in line with the application dates above) and before the deadline dates for your course.
How to Apply:
To apply please visit the Aurora Indigenous Pathways Portal.
You will need to submit:
1. A personal statement outlining:
- Why you want to do the course
- Background on your area of employment or business
- Where you are studying overseas, for how long and the focus of your study
- The amount of funding you require
- How you identify with the Indigenous community in which you live or have lived, and past contributions you have made within the community
- Ways in which undertaking your chosen course will benefit the Indigenous community
- Future contributions you plan to make to the Indigenous community (and wider community) following completion of the course.
2. Your curriculum vitae
3. Academic transcript/s if you completed your studies in the last 6 years
4. Three (3) written references, which highlight your capabilities, your past contribution to the Indigenous community, and the perceived future benefit of doing your chosen course. These should be:
- one academic/professional;
- one from an Elder in your community, (which should highlight your connection to the community);
- one personal.
5. A written statement confirming Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage. In addition, applicants are required to provide a signed statement in writing from the Aboriginal Heritage Association, Aboriginal Corporation or Land Council of the community in which they live or have lived, also confirming the above
6. A passport sized photo
7. A financial budget that lists all expenses (including airfares, course fees, accommodation and living expenses) and any funding already obtained (including savings). Please list all expenses in their original currency. Do not convert to Australian dollars.
Selection of successful applicants will be based on academic merit, financial need, and the applicant's past and future contributions to the Indigenous communities and to Australia more generally.
The Foundation requests that recipients of the Roberta Sykes Bursary:
Please contact us if you require further information or wish to discuss your application before submitting.